Inter-School Transfer (IST)
Policies for undergraduate inter-school transfer
- Approval of an inter-school transfer (IST) is contingent upon satisfactory performance in the current school. If a student is on academic probation at the end of the term, probation may continue in the new school.
- The inter-school transfer is not in effect until final grades are posted and any pending charges of academic dishonesty have been resolved.
- Approved inter-school transfers take effect at the beginning of the following quarter.
- Students may initiate an inter-school transfer in the first week of a Fall, Winter or Spring term to be effective the following term; steps 1, 2 and 3 of the “Procedures” listed below must be completed by the deadline listed below, typically noon on the Friday of the fourth week of the term. Quarter-specific deadlines are listed below. Students will be notified of a decision in time to plan for registration for the upcoming term.
- Students in the School of Professional Studies and NU-Qatar are not eligible for inter-school transfer. Students in those schools who wish to transfer other schools in the University must apply for admission through the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
|Last day to submit completed IST application (through step 3 below)|
|Fall 2021||September 21, 2021||12 pm (noon) October 15, 2021|
|Winter 2022||January 3, 2022||12 pm (noon) January 28, 2022|
|Spring 2022||March 29, 2022||12 pm (noon) April 18, 2022|
Procedures for inter-school transfer (IST)
- Complete and submit the online Application for Undergraduate Inter-School Transfer. You and your current school will receive an email confirming the successful submission of your application.
- Obtain approval of transfer INTO your proposed new Undergraduate school per the procedure below. When this is complete your proposed new school will submit an online approval or denial of your IST.
Undergraduate school and their inbound IST procedure Undergraduate school & contact information School’s INBOUND IST procedure Bienen School of Music
Office of Music Admission
- Contact the Office of Music Admission to discuss the application process and schedule an audition (if applicable to your program).
- Apply via the Bienen School Supplement (and, if required, complete an audition).
- The Office of Music Admission will notify you of the result of your audition/application via email.
- You will be directed to set up an appointment with an academic advisor in the Office of Music Student Affairs to help register for music classes.
McCormick School of Engineering
Undergraduate Engineering Office
- Once your IST has been received by McCormick, you will be contacted with the name of an adviser or member of the Undergraduate Engineering Office to meet with for your initial advising appointment.
- You must attend a mandatory 30-minute meeting to verify reasons for transferring in and for creating and reviewing a preliminary course audit and plan.
- You must sign McCormick’s academic integrity agreement as well as an agreement to complete all courses with a grade of C or better.
Medill School of Journalism, Media, & Integrated Marketing Communications
- You must successfully complete JOUR 201-1. Contact Medill Student Life to be added to the course waitlist for an upcoming term.
- Once the course has been completed and you are applying to transfer schools, you must schedule a mandatory meeting with an adviser in Student Life to review your IST application.
School of Communication
Office of Undergraduate Programs
You must schedule a mandatory meeting with an advisor. You must call the telephone number at left to schedule a mandatory meeting with a School of Communication adviser. School of Education & Social Policy (SESP)
Office of Student Affairs
- You must attend a mandatory information session (info sessions take place at the SESP offices every weekday at 3:30 p.m.)
- At the conclusion of the information session, schedule a one-on-one appointment with an academic adviser.
Weinberg College of Arts & Sciences (WCAS)
Office of Undergraduate Studies and Advising
1908 Sheridan Road
You must schedule a mandatory meeting with a WCAS College Advisor.
- Once all of the above steps for your proposed new school have been followed, you will receive notification from your proposed new school approving or denying your request to transfer.
- As noted above, your inter-school transfer is NOT in effect until final grades from the current term are posted and any pending charges of academic dishonesty have been resolved.