Skip to main content

Request a Replacement Diploma

The Office of the Registrar orders diplomas for graduating students, for alumni who request a replacement or additional diploma, and for alumni who report an error on their diploma. Graduating students do not need to request a diploma themselves; this is handled by the Office of the Registrar for Evanston undergraduates and by schools and programs for all other students.

Request a replacement diploma


The student who achieved the degree must place the diploma request.
Alumni can order replacement diplomas for themselves via Parchment.

Price and delivery services

Replacement diploma, regular service $50.00 per diploma Processed and delivered within 6 to 8 weeks. Delivered by USPS, no tracking information.
Replacement diploma, one-week rush $225.00 domestic; $275.00 for international, per diploma Processed within one week, not including delivery time. Delivered by UPS with tracking information.
Replacement diploma, two-week rush $200.00 domestic; $250.00 for international, per diploma Processed within two weeks, not including delivery time. Delivered by UPS with tracking information.

If you have any questions email


Apostille of a diploma for use in a foreign country: for information see the Illinois Secretary of State website. The Secretary of State accepts apostille applications from any requester. As a courtesy, the Office of the Registrar can notarize and forward your diploma to the State.

In addition to diploma payment, you must send to us:

  • Apostille Application form from the Secretary of State website
  • Two dollars ($2) per diploma, check payable to Secretary of State
  • A pre-paid & addressed return envelope. The State - not Northwestern - will process the check and send the apostille and diploma to the address on your return envelope. Apostille payment cannot be combined with diploma payment. Apostille processing time is separate from and in addition to diploma processing time. Further questions regarding apostilles must be directed to the IL Secretary of State Index Department.

Correct a diploma error


Relevant errors meriting a corrected diploma may include invalid dates, misspelled text, incorrect or missing honors, or a misspelled name (i.e. misspelled according to the official name on record with the University and verified at degree checkout). Contact our office at 847-491-5234 or to discuss your diploma. If you wish to proceed with requesting a corrected diploma, return your diploma with the error to the Office of the Registrar, and it will be corrected and replaced. There is no charge for a single, corrected diploma.

Request steps
  1. Request a corrected diploma in writing.
    The following personal information must be included in the request:
    • Date Requested
    • Name registered under while attending Northwestern University
    • Student ID number (If available) Do not include social security number.
    • Name to be printed on diploma(s) if different from above (subject to verification)
    • School(s) attended
    • Degree(s) awarded
    • Date(s) Degree(s) were awarded (month & year)
    • Mailing address
    • Number of diploma(s) requested
    • Reason for requesting replacement diploma(s)
    • Signature (request will not be processed without signature)
    • Contact telephone number and email address
  2. Include the diploma (with the error) with your request.
  3. Mail your order to the Office of the Registrar:

    Northwestern University
    633 Clark Street
    Evanston, IL 60208-1118

    Allow six to eight weeks for your replacement diploma(s).