Notary Public Services
The Office of the Registrar provides free notary services to Northwestern students and alumni for official documents produced or distributed by the Office of the Registrar (i.e. diplomas, transcripts, verifications). Please detail the notary service request when filling out the specific document request form or transcript request.
NUVotes provides voter notary services.
More information is available in the Witness & Notary Services sections of the NUVotes resources page: https://www.nuvotes.org/printing-mailing/
- Center for Civic Engagement (1813 Hinman Ave): Email email@example.com for an appointment. Free for the NU community.
Notary services that require in-person interaction are by appointment only.
Please make a Notary Appointment Request by emailing RO-Notary@northwestern.edu and include a description of what you are attempting to notarize.
If we are unable to fulfill your request, and you are looking for local or mobile notary options in Evanston or Chicago, please reach out to The UPS store, Three Pillars Notary Service, Chicago Premier Mobile Notary, or Illinois Currency Exchange. You can also contact your local bank for notary services, but they may require you to be a member of their bank.
Please Note: Requesters wishing to have documents notarized must present national or state identification (e.g. a valid passport or driver's license). Please be aware that notaries commissioned in Illinois may not certify copies. This must be done by the institutions that originally issued the documents. Documents must be in English. Due to legal requirements that have taken effect in Illinois, we cannot notarize documents associated with real property or transfers of property.
Prior to an in-person appointment at the Office of the Registrar:
- Make sure to have a confirmed appointment time with an Office of the Registrar staff member.
- Before coming to campus: On the day of your confirmed appointment, fill out the Northwestern Symptom Tracker: https://www.northwestern.edu/coronavirus-covid-19-updates/health/health-monitoring/symptom-tracker/index.html. If you are assigned a Red badge, you are not permitted to come to campus. If you are assigned a Green or Purple badge, you may proceed to campus.
- Bring all needed documents, including your Wildcard and/or government issued ID.
- Wear a mask and practice social distancing when interacting with the staff member. https://www.northwestern.edu/coronavirus-covid-19-updates/campus-return/guidelines/social-physical-distancing/
- Meet the staff member at the double doors of the Office of the Registrar, East Tower, 633 Clark Street, Evanston, IL 60208. Show your Green or Purple badge on your phone to the staff member before proceeding with the appointment.