Skip to main content

Former Students Re-Entry

Below, you will find re-entry policy information and steps on how to apply for re-entry if you are an undergraduate or graduate student.

Re-entry policy

Undergraduate and graduate students who have been away from the University (not registered in courses) for one or more quarter(s) of the academic year must file an Application for Former Student to Re-Enter, also called a FRET form, to re-enter. Students are not required to file the application if they have completed spring quarter classes and intend to return in the fall. The application must be approved by the appropriate official in the student’s home school/department in order to be processed.

Students who have been on a medical leave of absence must contact the Dean of Students Office before their Application for Re-Entry can be processed.

The completed and signed application should be received in the Office of the Registrar six weeks before the first day of registration of the quarter of return.

Re-entry steps

  1. Download and print the Application for Former Student to Re-Enter, or pick up a copy at the Office of the Registrar.
  2. Complete the application and deliver it to the dean's office of your school via e-mail or in person.  Provide any additional relevant information regarding re-entry, including if coursework has been completed at another institution since your most recent enrollment at Northwestern.  If approved, the dean's office will forward the application to the Office of the Registrar.
  3. If approved, the Office of the Registrar will reactivate your record and assign a registration appointment time. Registration can take place any time after the appointment date and time.
  4. Reactivating your student record will also automatically reactivate your NetID. After the NetID has been reactivated, your school dean’s office must send a request for an activation code to Once your dean's office receives the activation code. they will send it to you so you can reset your NetID password. If you have questions call the IT Support Center at 847-491-4357 (1-HELP).

Re-entry The Graduate School

TGS students requesting re-entry after an approved general or family leave of absence should email

TGS students requesting readmission after being discontinued, or who voluntarily withdrew from their program, should visit The Graduate School readmission page for more information.