Graduation Petition Procedure
This procedure is for undergraduates in the School of Education & Social Policy, Medill, WCAS, Bienen and the School of Communication.
Approximately one calendar year prior to your intended graduation date.
Review the double-counting rules that apply to your majors and minors and your degree progress report in CAESAR.
Students are strongly encouraged to review the double-counting rules that apply to their major(s) and minor(s) and to discuss them with their adviser(s), if questions arise, before submitting their graduation petition form to the Registrar’s Office.
Download the appropriate form here:
- Instructions for Weinberg Students
- Petition to Graduate for School of Education, Medill, Weinberg, Bienen School of Music, or the School of Communication – Please use if your home school is any of the proceeding.
- Petition for additional majors, minors, and certificates - Please use if you’ve already submitted your petition or if you are a McCormick student and wish to petition for a major, minor, or certificate outside of McCormick.
If you are enrolled in a Dual Bachelor's Degree program, complete a graduation petition form for each degree.
Return the completed and signed form to:
Office of the Registrar
633 Clark Street
Evanston, Illinois 60208-1118
Option for students during The Office of the Registrar’s remote service time:
As the Office of the Registrar is currently closed to the public, you can submit your petition to graduate electronically using the following guidelines:
- Student fills out their sections of the petition—a wet signature is not required for now—and saves pdf.
- Student emails pdf petition to the appropriate adviser.
- That adviser reviews the petition, adds any information on substitutions, waivers, and related course approvals.
- The adviser—not the student—should email the petition from their Northwestern email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. The adviser’s Northwestern email address will serve as authentication for our office.
If you have any questions or concerns, please attempt to contact your adviser first. If you have any additional questions, email@example.com may be able to provide some guidance.
A degree auditor will send a message to your NU email address confirming your petition has been processed. This can take up to 45 business days depending upon when you submit your petition (the closer to the deadline, the longer the review will take). You must review your degree progress report in CAESAR to ensure you understand your remaining requirements, and contact your degree auditor if questions arise. Any substitutions or exceptions must be approved by your adviser and sent to your degree auditor at firstname.lastname@example.org. All incomplete grades, including “K” grades, must be resolved before graduation.