Skip to main content

Course Load Policies

Listed below are course load policies for graduate, undergraduate and part-time undergraduate students.

Graduate students

Course load policies for graduate students.

Undergraduate students

Course load policies and registration steps for course overloads for undergraduate students.

Course load policies and registration steps for course overloads
Registration periods Pre-registration Registration 1st Week of term
Units 0-2.0 0-4.99 0-5.5
Select classes are made available to majors and/or minors during pre-registration. List of participating schools and departments can be found on the Pre-registration page. Registration occurs during or after your scheduled appointment. Your appointment times are displayed in CAESAR on the Student Center page. Once the term begins, most undergraduates may register for up to 5.5 units of credit.

Enrollment in more than 5.5 units of credit, overload enrollment, will result in additional charges. See the Undergraduate Financial Aid website for information about tuition and financial aid for overload enrollment. WCAS students, additional restrictions may apply, see the WCAS Rules and Policies for Overloads and Underloads page.

Registration steps for course overloads

  1. Obtain permission for a course overload from the appropriate person in the student services or dean's office of your school or college.
  2. Secure the signature of that person on a Registration Exception Form (available in the Office of the Registrar).
  3. Take the signed Registration Exception Form and any additional class permission numbers that are required to the Office of the Registrar during the first week of the quarter to be enrolled in the class.

Part-time enrollment

Information for part-time undergraduate students and steps to declare part-time enrollment.

Undergraduate students

Steps to declare part-time enrollment

  1. Review degree requirements and the Undergraduate Registration Requirement (URR) with your advisor(s) to determine whether part-time enrollment is best for you.
  2. Review the potential impact of part-time enrollment with the Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid.
  3. International students must secure permission from the International Office to enroll part-time.
  4. Student athletes subject to NCAA bylaws should review the potential impact of part-time enrollment on their eligibility with an advisor in Athletic Academic Support Services.
  5. Log in to CAESAR to complete the “Undergraduate Part-Time Enrollment Request"
    • After logging in, select the “Academic Records”
    • Select “Academic Forms” to access the Part-Time Enrollment Request
    • The form will prompt you to identify a term for which you intend to be part time, the number of classes you intend to take, and will ask that you verify that you have completed steps 2-4 above.
    • You may edit the information you submit here until the add deadline for the given term.