Skip to main content

Alumni Services

How do I obtain a copy of my official transcript?

Official Transcripts may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar on the Evanston campus. Please refer to the obtaining a transcript page for complete details and instructions.

How do I obtain a copy of my diploma?

The Office of the Registrar on the Evanston campus handles the ordering of diplomas for graduating students as well as requests for replacement diplomas and error corrections. Please refer to the request a diploma page for complete details and instructions.

How do I get a letter of verification of enrollment?

To obtain a letter of verification, please fill out the Enrollment Verification Request form and mail or fax to the Office of the Registrar:

Office of the Registrar
Northwestern University
633 Clark Street
Evanston, IL 60208
FAX: (847) 491-8458

How do I obtain a report of my National Board scores?

Write to:

American Dental Association
Department of Testing Services
National Board Transcripts
211 East Chicago Avenue
Suite 1846
Chicago, IL 60611-2678

All requests must be in writing and must include:

  • your name at the time of the test
  • dental school attended
  • year of graduation
  • type of board scores (dental or dental hygiene)
  • year of birth
  • your current name and address
  • name and address where score report is to be sent

Each copy requested is $5. Money orders or certified checks should be made payable to the American Dental Association. (Personal checks are only accepted from ADA members; you must write your membership number on the check.)

For more information please check the ADA website.

How do I get a letter of recommendation?

  1. Set up a file for your letters of recommendation with University File Services (see instructions below).
  2. To obtain a letter of reference, please send a written request to:

    University Registrar
    Office of the Registrar
    Northwestern University
    633 Clark St.
    Evanston, IL 60208


    FAX: (847) 491-8458

    All requests must be in writing and must include:
    1. Name under which you were registered when enrolled
    2. Social Security or ID number
    3. School or division in which you were enrolled
    4. Dates of attendance
    5. Degree(s) earned and date(s) awarded, if any
    6. Your signature
  3. A confidential letter of reference will be sent to University File Services, to be placed in your file.
  4. Have File Services send your letter(s) under confidential seal to whichever institutions/employers have requested them.

    You may also request that the letter of reference be sent directly to the institution(s) to which you’re applying without first setting up a file with the University. Bear in mind, however, that many postdoctoral programs and some employers require that letters of recommendation be issued through your school, a contingency that could require you to contact File Services.

How do I set up a file with the University for my letters of recommendation?

Contact Cate Siniawski at University File Services, at (847) 467-7534. You may also fax the office at (847) 491-2573.

File Services will send you the necessary information and paperwork to start your file. Your file may be used to store letters of recommendation, curricula vitae, teaching evaluations, and similar materials that might accompany an application for employment or further educational endeavors.

Please note that File Services is not responsible for issuing official transcripts. See Question #1, above, for information on how to obtain and/or have mailed your official transcript.

How do I obtain a Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS) application packet?

PASS applications for admission to postdoctoral programs are available from the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) each April.

Contact the ADEA at (202) 667-1887 or (800) 353-AADS to request an application packet.

For further information about PASS, visit the ADEA website.

How do I obtain a Match number for use when applying to postdoctoral programs?

Write, phone, or email National Matching Services:

National Matching Services Inc.
595 Bay St., Suite 301, Box 29
Toronto, Ontario
Canada, M5G 2C2
Phone: (416) 977-3431
Fax: (416) 977-5020

National Matching Services Inc.
P.O. Box 1208
Lewiston, NY 14092-8208
Phone: (716) 282-4013
Fax: (716) 282-0611


For more information, visit the National Matching Services Inc's Postdoctoral Matching Program.

What services does NU offer in support of the PASS application process?

Set up a file with University File Services, following the procedure outlined above.

Submit to Cate Siniawski the dean’s letter of recommendation form and one of the envelopes included among the PASS application forms. File Services will report your rank and grade point averages (yearly and cumulative), as well as your board scores. When completed, the form will be returned to you in a sealed, signed envelope, to enclose in your application to PASS.

You may follow the same protocol for the other letter of recommendation forms PASS gives you if you have had letters of recommendation placed on file with File Services. If you have not had letters of recommendation placed in your file, you will need to contact each individual from whom you would like a reference and submit the PASS forms to them. Once they fill them out and enclose a letter, they are to return the materials to you in a sealed, signed envelope for inclusion in your PASS application.

To obtain your official transcript, follow the transcript procedure outlined above.