Graduation Petition Procedure
This petition information is only for undergraduate students in Education, Journalism, WCAS, Music and Communication.
Undergraduate McCormick students should download a copy of the McCormick student graduation petition form from the following link:
Completed and signed graduation petition form should be submitted to the McCormick School of Engineering Academic Services Office, Tech L269.
Note that McCormick students must file a separate petition, at the Office of the Registrar, for any additional major(s) and/or minor(s) pursued outside of the Robert R. McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science.
When Should I Petition?
You are expected to submit a graduation petition form to the Office of the Registrar approximately one calendar year prior to your intended graduation date.
How do I Petition?
1. Obtain a petition form from the Office of the Registrar, or download one of the following forms here.
- School of Education and Social Policy Petition
- Medill School of Journalism Degree Petition
- Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences Petition
- Bienen School of Music Petition
- School of Communication Petition
- McCormick Major/Minor Petition
2. Complete the petition with your major/minor adviser(s).
3. If you are enrolled in a Dual Bachelor's Degree program, complete a graduation petition form for each degree.
4. Return the completed and signed form to the Office of the Registrar • 633 Clark Street • Evanston, Illinois 60208-1118 • Phone: 847-491-5234
After You Petition
A confirmation email will be sent to your Northwestern email address about 45 business days following submission of your graduation petition to the Office of the Registrar. It is important that you review your updated degree progress report after you receive your confirmation email and contact your degree auditor immediately if questions arise.
All incomplete grades, including ‘K” grades, must be resolved before a student’s graduation. No grade changes are accepted after graduation.
- If your last name begins with A-G, your degree auditor is Sheri Serwatko, email@example.com
- If your last name begins with H-O, your degree auditor is Mariza Flores-Muñoz, firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your last name begins with P-Z, your degree auditor is Isabel Vega-Gomez, email@example.com
To schedule an appointment with your degree auditor, call the Office of the Registrar at 847-491-5234