Transfer and Test Credit
Per the Undergraduate Registration Requirement, there are required minimum numbers of Northwestern credits and quarters students must earn in order to complete a Northwestern degree. These minimums also affect the numbers of Advanced Placement (AP), transfer credit, and/or other external credit (such as International Baccalaureate) that may be applied toward the undergraduate degree. The requirement varies depending upon whether a student enters as a freshman or transfer student, and whether the degree program is a four-year program or a dual bachelor’s degree program. Students should review the requirement when attempting to transfer credit.
Transfer credit guidelines for:
- Incoming transfer students
- Incoming first-year students
- Classes taken elsewhere after enrolling at Northwestern University
- Advanced Placement tests and International Baccalaureate
- College-level classes taken while in high school
- Inter-School Transfer (IST)
- Frequently Asked Questions
General guidelines for transfer credit
To review the general guidelines for transfer credit visit the transfer credit policies page.