Request a Diploma
The Office of the Registrar orders diplomas for graduating students, replaces diplomas and corrects diplomas with errors.
Request a replacement diploma
Policy: The student who achieved the degree must place the diploma request.
- Download and complete the Request for Replacement Diploma Form (pdf)There is a charge of $50.00 for the replacement diploma. If paying by credit card please call (847) 491-3289 during business hours to provide the credit card information after mailing or faxing the transcript order. Do not give credit card information in voice mail.Do not include credit card information on this form. Northwestern University cannot accept credit card information on this form. If Paying by check please make check payable to: Northwestern University. Diploma orders will not be processed until payment is received.
- Fax, E-mail or mail your order to the Office of the Registrar. Telephone orders are not accepted.
Fax: (847) 491-8458
Mail: Office of the Registrar, Attn: Diploma Services
633 Clark Street
Evanston, Illinois 60208-1118
- Allow six to eight weeks for your replacement diploma(s).
Apostille: a separate certification issued and mailed to you with your diploma by the IL Secretary of State. NU can forward your diploma to the State on your behalf. You must send us a pre-paid return envelope and $2 per document check for us to mail with your diploma to the State. Cannot be combined with diploma payment. Additional processing time applies. You may also submit your notarized diploma and Apostille request on your own, directly to the State. See more information on the State website at http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/index/apostilles.html.
Correct a diploma error
Policy: Relevant errors meriting a corrected diploma may include invalid dates, misspelled text, incorrect or missing honors, or a misspelled name (i.e. misspelled according to the official name on record with the University and verified at degree checkout). Contact our office at 847-491-5234 or email@example.com to discuss your diploma. If you wish to proceed with requesting a corrected diploma, return your diploma with the error to the Office of the Registrar, and it will be corrected and replaced. There is no charge for a single, corrected diploma.
- Request a corrected diploma in writing.
The following personal information must be included in the request:
- Date Requested
- Name registered under while attending Northwestern University
- Student ID number (If available) Do not include social security number)
- Name to be printed on diploma(s) if different from above (subject to verification)
- School(s) attended
- Degree(s) awarded
- Date(s) Degree(s) were awarded (month & year)
- Mailing address
- Number of diploma(s) requested
- Reason for requesting replacement diploma(s)
- Signature (request will not be processed without signature)
- Contact telephone number and e-mail address
- Include the diploma (with the error) with your request.
- Mail your order to the Office of the Registrar:
Office of the Registrar, Attn: Diploma Services
633 Clark Street
Evanston, IL 60208-1118