Obtaining an Official Transcript
All students are encouraged to go online to place their transcript order. This is the easiest and most efficient way to place an order for either a traditional paper transcript or the new electronic transcript delivery.
The Office of the Registrar at Northwestern University processes transcript requests for:
- All undergraduates
- The Graduate School
- Graduate programs in:
- The School of Education & Social Policy
- McCormick School of Engineering & Applied Science
- Medill School of Journalism
- Bienen School of Music
- The School of Communication
- The Kellogg School of Management
- The Dental School (1891 – 2001)
- The Nursing Program (1976- 1990)
Please visit the School of Continuing Studies for transcript requests for the following schools:
For the Law School – Please visit the NU Law School
For the Medical School (and Orthotics & Prosthetics) – Please visit the NU Medical School
Transcript Request Cost and Processing Time
- No refunds will be issued once the order has been submitted. No transcript will be issued until payment is received.
- Northwestern University does not issue unofficial transcripts
- All students are encouraged to go online to place their transcript order. This is the easiest and most efficient way to place an order for either a traditional paper transcript or the new electronic transcript delivery.
- Transcript requests will not be processed for students with a transcript “hold” on their student record.
- Please note that at this time, electronic transcript delivery is available only for students who graduated from Northwestern University August 2000 and later.
- It is the responsibility of the transcript requestor to verify that the recipient will accept delivery of an Electronic PDF transcript before requesting the Electronic PDF transcript.
- Transcript requestors and electronic transcript recipients should ensure their email clients will accept emails from firstname.lastname@example.org; check “junk” folder for errant emails.
- Electronic transcripts are available to be downloaded (maximum of 3 downloads per transcript) for 30 days from date of issue.
|Processing Time||Transcript Fee|
|Delivered electronically, typically within a couple of hours, excluding during times of scheduled maintenance & planned system outages.||$8 per transcript|
|Service||Processing Time||Transcript Fee|
|Regular Service||Mailed within 2 business days of receipt of request||$10 per transcript|
|Immediate Service*||Transcript mailed same business day as receipt of request||$25 per transcript|
*If immediate service is requested please contact our office at (847) 467-0760 to confirm receipt of your request. Immediate transcript requests received after 3 p.m. CST will be processed the next business day.
- All paper transcripts are mailed via U.S. Postal Service First-Class mail unless otherwise stated on the request.
- FedEx next-business-day delivery is also available for delivery on business days at an additional charge ($15 domestic; $30 international)
- During the months of December, January, June and July, processing time changes from 2 business days to 4 business days
Questions? Contact us at: (847) 467-0760; email@example.com
Note: An official transcript bears the University Seal and a signature certifying its authenticity. Official transcripts are sensitive official documents and their release requires a written signature. For information regarding the laws governing the disclosure of student records, please visit our Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act page.