Obtaining an Official Transcript
Grades for Spring 2013 will appear on official transcripts beginning Tuesday, June 18, 2013
The June 2013 degree conferral date will appear on transcripts starting Monday, July 8, 2013
All students are encouraged to go online to place their transcript order. This is the easiest and most efficient way to place an order for either a traditional paper transcript or the new electronic transcript delivery.
The Office of the Registrar at Northwestern University processes transcript requests for:
- All undergraduates
- The Graduate School
- Graduate programs in:
- The School of Education & Social Policy
- McCormick School of Engineering & Applied Science
- Medill School of Journalism
- Bienen School of Music
- The School of Communication
- The Kellogg School of Management
- The Dental School (1891 – 2001)
- The Nursing Program (1976- 1990)
Please visit the School of Continuing Studies for transcript requests for the following schools:
For the Law School – Please visit the NU Law School
For the Medical School (and Orthotics & Prosthetics) – Please visit the NU Medical School
Transcript Request Cost and Processing Time
- No refunds will be issued once the order has been submitted. No transcript will be issued until payment is received.
- Northwestern University does not issue unofficial transcripts
- All students are encouraged to go online to place their transcript order. This is the easiest and most efficient way to place an order for either a traditional paper transcript or the new electronic transcript delivery.
- Transcript requests will not be processed for students with a transcript “hold” on their student record.
- Please note that at this time, electronic transcript delivery is available only for students who graduated from Northwestern University August 2000 and later.
- It is the responsibility of the transcript requestor to verify that the recipient will accept delivery of an Electronic PDF transcript before requesting the Electronic PDF transcript.
- Transcript requestors and electronic transcript recipients should ensure their email clients will accept emails from email@example.com; check “junk” folder for errant emails.
- Electronic transcripts are available to be downloaded (maximum of 3 downloads per transcript) for 30 days from date of issue.
|Processing Time||Transcript Fee|
|Delivered electronically, typically within a couple of hours, excluding during times of scheduled maintenance & planned system outages.||$8 per transcript|
|Service||Processing Time||Transcript Fee|
|Regular Service||Mailed within 2 business days of receipt of request||$10 per transcript|
|Immediate Service*||Transcript mailed same business day as receipt of request||$25 per transcript|
*If immediate service is requested please contact our office at (847) 467-0760 to confirm receipt of your request. Immediate transcript requests received after 3 p.m. CST will be processed the next business day.
- All paper transcripts are mailed via U.S. Postal Service First-Class mail unless otherwise stated on the request.
- FedEx next-business-day delivery is also available for delivery on business days at an additional charge ($15 domestic; $30 international)
- During the months of December, January, June and July, processing time changes from 2 business days to 4 business days
Questions? Contact us at: (847) 467-0760; firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: An official transcript bears the University Seal and a signature certifying its authenticity. Official transcripts are sensitive official documents and their release requires a written signature. For information regarding the laws governing the disclosure of student records, please visit our Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act page.