File a Social Security Number
Steps for changing a Social Security Number on file at Northwestern:
- Complete a Change of Social Security Number form.
This is available at the Office of the Registrar
- Present the Registrar's Office with new, original Social Security card and a picture ID.
Both items will be photocopied.
- The application will be processed.
Please allow a minimum of 48 hours for the change to take effect.
Steps for submitting a Social Security Number to Northwestern when none is on file:To comply with Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code, the Office of the Registrar, in conjunction with the Office of Student Accounts, requests that you do ONE of the following:
- Log on to CAESAR with your NetID and password and navigate to the “My National ID” page via the “Personal Profile” pagelet. Enter your Social Security number in the field provided and press “Save.” Navigate to the “My Names” page in CAESAR and verify that your primary name matches the name on your government-issued ID card.
- Bring your original SSN card and a photo ID (Driver’s License, State ID, Passport, WildCard) to your registrar’s office. Evanston undergraduates and graduate students should go to the Office of the Registrar, Rebecca Crown Center, 633 Clark Street. Students in Feinberg, Kellogg, Law, and SPS should go to the registrar or records office in their home schools.
- Complete, sign and return to the appropriate registrar’s office the IRS form W-9S Taxpayer Identification Number form located on the IRS web site via the following link: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9s.pdf
Note: We cannot accept W-9(S) forms via email. All documentation including an SSN or ITIN must be mailed, faxed, or dropped off in person. Any emails received that include an SSN or ITIN will be deleted.
If you are paid through the University Payroll System, make a copy of your government-issued ID card and bring it to the Office of Human Resources, Payroll Office at 720 University Place on the Evanston campus or to Abbott Hall, Room 800 on the Chicago campus.