File a Social Security Number

Steps for filing a change or initial assignment:

  1. Complete a Change of Social Security Number form.
    This is available at the Office of the Registrar
  2. Present the Registrar's Office with new, original Social Security card and a picture ID.
    Both items will be photocopied.
  3. The application will be processed.
    Please allow a minimum of 48 hours for the change to take effect.

Note: If you are also employed by Northwestern University, you must also make the official Social Security Number change at the Office of Human Resources.