CAESAR Comment Function Tips
Using CAESAR's Advisor Comment Function
The Advisor Comment function in CAESAR allows you to enter comments about advising sessions and to review comments made by others who have also advised a particular student.
Note: The Advisor Comment function may or may not be available within your school. Check with your school's Academic Office or with The Office of the Registrar to see if it is available.
Point your browser to CAESAR and login using your NetID and password. CAESAR will display a Welcome page.
To access the Advising Comments function, click on the "For Advisors" button. Then, click on the "View My Advisees". CAESAR will display the Advising Search page.
As with the other Advisor functions, you must first select the student's record with which you wish to work. Enter appropriate search criteria and click "Search" (just click "Search" without entering any search criteria to get a list of all of "your" advisees). CAESAR will return the Advising Selection Result page.
To look at a particular student's advising comments, click on the Advising Comments icon in that student's row in the search results list.
Add a new comment to this student's record by clicking on the "Add a New Comment" link. See guidelines for appropriate comments.
- Enter the comments and edit as necessary. Remember, once the comments are saved, they are fixed.
- When you are satisfied with the comment text, Press the "Add" button.
- Before saving, you can cancel the entry and return to the Advising Comment - Review screen
Note: The system will automatically time and date stamp each comment entry and enter the name of the advisor entering the comment.
To protect the security of your NetID account, you should logout and then quit your browser when you are finished using the CAESAR Advising System.
- The comments are part of the student's educational record and should be limited to matters that directly pertain to that. Remember that a wide range of advisors around the university may have access to this material. Do NOT comment on non-academic matters. Under appropriate circumstances, a student may review comments about him/herself.
- Comments should be entered after each meeting at which the student's educational program was discussed. The comments should encapsulate the conversation and list any actions taken or recommendations made. This could include, for instance, the list of courses that the advisor wants the student to take.
- Under no circumstances should allegations or negative reflections about or against another person be entered into the "Comments" section.
- When administrative action, such as a late drop, is authorized the reason(s) can be described by a phrase such as "I authorized a late drop in Chemistry 223 for personal reasons." Some standard phrases for use when personal circumstances play a significant role in the conversation would include:
- I authorized a late drop/whithdrawal/change of grade, etc. for personal reasons;
- We discussed alternative sources of help
- The system will automatically time and date stamp each entry and enter the name of the advisor. Comments are fully editable until you click "Save" and after that they are fixed.