Classes to be included in evaluations:
- CTEC (Course and Teacher Evaluation Council) will set up evaluations for each 100-,200-,300-, and 400-level class with five or more students officially enrolled in the class.
- If a class has more than one instructor, each instructor will be evaluated separately unless a
special request is made to evaluate all instructors as a group. All students registered in the class will have access to the evaluations for all instructors listed for the class.
- If the name of the instructor is not included in SES, the class will not be included in the evaluation process.
- Schools included in the CTEC process are:
- School of Education and Social Policy
- Medill School of Journalism
- Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- Bienen School of Music
- School of Communication
- McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science
- The Graduate School (contact email@example.com for a list of participating programs)
- School of Professional Studies
- Kellogg School of Management
- School of Law
- Naval Science classes included through special request.
- 500-level classes may be included through special request.
CTEC evaluation process:
- Students will access CAESAR to enter evaluations of their classes beginning at midnight (CST) on Sunday at the beginning of the last week of classes before reading week. The site will remain open for three weeks and close at midnight (CST) on the Sunday following finals week, before any grades are posted by the Office of the Registrar. No student will be allowed to enter the site after it has closed; however, a student may finish an evaluation if he has entered the site before the midnight deadline and is in the process of completing an evaluation. Access to the evaluation site during the summer term may vary due to multiple start and end dates. Students will receive an e-mail message containing specific information regarding the open and close dates for summer submissions.
- Instructors will have access to their class evaluation sites for one week prior to the student access to add instructor questions and to check the site. Instructors will be notified by e-mail when the site is open to them.
- All class sites included in the evaluation process will remain open for the entire three-week evaluation window. Instructors should not post or distribute grades to class members before the evaluation site has closed.
- All students registered in a class through CAESAR will have access to the CAESAR evaluation site using a netid and password. Students not officially registered in the class will not have access to the evaluation site.
- When the evaluation site opens, the CTEC office will send a message to all students giving them instructions for entering their evaluations. Reminder messages will be sent at the beginning and end of the second week and every day during the third week of the evaluation entry window.
- Please note: During the Summer Quarter, classes have varying evaluation periods based on the length of the class. Please contact the CTEC Office with any questions about Summer Quarter evaluations: firstname.lastname@example.org
Evaluation results made available for instructors:
- Evaluation results will be made available on CAESAR to the instructors during the week following finals week only after all grades have been submitted to the Registrar's Office.
- The CTEC office will send a message to the instructors when the results are available to them.
- When the CTEC results are first made available to the instructors, they should review all of their essay comments. Comments elicited from the first four essay questions are for the use of the instructors only and will be available only to them. Essay question five contains the comments that may be published on the site made public to the Northwestern Community. If there are comments included under question five that are salacious, obscene, or otherwise inappropriate for publication, the instructor should notify the CTEC office immediately for editing of these comments.
- Teaching assistants whose names have been added to the class in SES will have access to their results in the same time frame as instructors.
Evaluations posted for Northwestern community:
- Evaluation results of all classes will be available in CAESAR. The information posted will include a composite of the demographic information and the results of the five core questions, the time-survey question, and the comments from the summary essay question (#5).
- Posted results will be available to all faculty and staff members within the Northwestern community and may be used for other Northwestern purposes.
- Participation in CTECs is voluntary, but posted results will only be available to all active Northwestern students who have entered evaluations for all of their classes for the previous quarter. Students who have failed to enter all of their evaluations for a specific quarter will be blocked from the site when the evaluation entry window has ended. They may regain entry to the publication site if they enter their class evaluations for the following quarter. Special provisions will be made for incoming freshmen and study-abroad students.
- Summary report data will be available through CAESAR, under NU CTEC Instructor Reports.
- Department Summary Reports for courses taught prior to summer 2008 can be requested from
the CTEC Office:
847 467 4463
Revised November 26, 2014